Legislative Agenda Task Force
Chair: Luther Moore, Belk
Focus: This committee reviews issues and recommendations for the Chamber Legislative Agenda and positions. Establishing our legislative agenda is an annual process whereby we give Charlotte Chamber members and partner organizations the opportunity to present the legislative priorities of their organization in order to be considered for inclusion in the Charlotte Chamber’s final legislative agenda. The final document is voted on by our members and dictates the issues the Chamber will advocate for on behalf of the Charlotte business community.
Membership: Members include business leaders with an interest in supporting advocacy efforts as well as lobbyists at member companies. As in all Public Policy Committees, membership is open to anybody who is an active Chamber member.
Meeting Dates: Typically 5-6 weekly meetings in the quarter before the North Carolina General Assembly convenes. After the NCGA finishes their session, the committee receives a recap of issues. The committee meets on an as-needed basis throughout the session.
Current LATF meeting schedule:
- 1st meeting - Tuesday, December 2, 2014 7:45 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- 2nd meeting - Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:45 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- 3rd meeting - Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:45 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- 4th meeting - Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:45 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- 5th meeting - Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:45 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- 6th meeting (IF NEEDED) - Wednesday, January 7, 2015 7:45 a.m. – 9 a.m.
ALL committee meetings will be held at Belk, Inc., 2801 W. Tyvola Road, 28217.
Past Agenda Items:
- The Task Force voted and passed a recommended position on immigration reform on April 16, 2013. The Workplace Issues Committee presented the position at the meeting. The Charlotte Chamber Executive Chamber approved the position. Click here to view the items.
- Feb. 25, 2014: Kerri Burke, the chamber's contract lobbyist with McGuireWoods Consulting, provided a presentation of the upcoming North Carolina General Assembly short session. Click here to view the presentation.
- On April 10, Charlotte Chamber's Executive Committee approved the Legislative Agenda Task Force's recommended legislative agenda. The document serves as a roadmap for the chamber's advocacy efforts for the upcoming North Carolina General Assembly short session that begins on May 14. Click here to view the updated agenda with adjustments supporting teacher pay increases, Common Core Standards and workforce training programs.
Committee FAQs >>