Legislative Agenda Task Force
Chair: Luther Moore, Belk
Focus: This committee reviews issues and recommendations for the Chamber Legislative Agenda and positions. Establishing our legislative agenda is an annual process whereby we give Charlotte Chamber members and partner organizations the opportunity to present the legislative priorities of their organization in order to be considered for inclusion in the Charlotte Chamber’s final legislative agenda. The final document is voted on by our members and dictates the issues the Chamber will advocate for on behalf of the Charlotte business community.
Membership: Members include business leaders with an interest in supporting advocacy efforts as well as lobbyists at member companies. As in all Public Policy Committees, membership is open to anybody who is an active Chamber member.
Meeting Dates: Typically 5-6 weekly meetings in the quarter before the North Carolina General Assembly convenes. After the NCGA finishes their session, the committee receives a recap of issues. The committee meets on an as-needed basis throughout the session.
Current 2014 schedule (all meetings held at the chamber):
- Tuesday, Feb. 25: 7:45 – 9:15 a.m.: NCGA Forecast
- Thursday, March 13: 4:30 – 5:45 p.m.
Charlotte Regional Film Commission, Real Estate & Building Industry Coalition, Teach for America
- Tuesday, March 18: 7:45 – 9:15 a.m.
Central Piedmont Community College, MeckEd, N.C. Chamber of Commerce, UNC Charlotte
- Thursday, March 20: 4:30 – 5:45 p.m.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, City of Charlotte, Justice Initiatives
- Tuesday, March 25: 7:45 – 9:15 a.m. VOTING DAY, no presentations on this date.
Past Agenda Items:
- The Task Force voted and passed a recommended position on immigration reform on April 16, 2013. The Workplace Issues Committee presented the position at the meeting. The Charlotte Chamber Executive Chamber approved the position. Click here to view the items.
- Aug. 20, 2013: Kerri Burke, the chamber’s lobbyist with McGuire Woods Consulting, provided the Task Force with an update on the NCGA 2013 long session. Click here to view her presentation highlighting pieces of legislation and click here to view a summary of the tax reduction deal.
- Feb. 25, 2014: Kerri Burke, the chamber's contract lobbyist with McGuireWoods Consulting, provided a presentation of the upcoming North Carolina General Assembly short session. Click here to view the presentation.
- Please check back for special announcements.
Committee FAQs >>