Public Policy Committees
Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding participation in public policy efforts at the Charlotte Chamber. Each committee meets to discuss public policy issues and gain insight into the impact on the business community. The committees serve as avenues for us to engage and inform our members of public policy happenings in the community. Speakers at our meetings range from city, county, regional and federal staff to area businesses depending on the meeting topic.
How can I join and participate in a Public Policy Committee?
Our committees are open to all Chamber members, and you may join by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to be included in the distribution list to be notified of upcoming meetings and policy updates. Click here to view the latest public policy news in the chamber public policy newsletter.
Do I have to attend every meeting?
You can attend as many meetings as your schedule allows, we appreciate any and all involvement! Keep in mind you will find a higher benefit if you are able to attend a majority of the meetings.
What are the committees and how often do they meet?
1. Aviation Committee:The committee meets with representatives from Charlotte Douglas International Airport and American Airlines to ensure we maintain an environment that supports the growth that has led to our economic development successes. Meets every other month on Tuesdays at 8 a.m. Location of each meeting is based on the agenda.
Chair: Paisley Gordon Jr., CPG Real Estate, Inc..
2. Land Use Committee: The committee meets with city and county officials to review policies and procedures affecting development in our community. Meets on the last Wednesday of every other month at 8 a.m. Location of each meeting is based on the agenda.
Chair: Joe Padilla, Real Estate and Building Industry
3. Transportation Committee: The committee meets with city, county, and state officials to review policies and procedures affecting transportation infrastructure in our region. Meets on the last Wednesday of every other month at 8 a.m. Location of each meeting is based on the agenda.
Chair: Greg Boulanger, HNTB Corporation
4. Legislative Agenda Task Force: The Task Force meets annually to review and set the Charlotte Chamber’s legislative agenda. After the NCGA finishes its session, the committee receives a recap of issues and also meets on an as-needed basis.
Chair: Betty Doster, UNC-Charlotte
5. Workforce Development and Education Committee: This committee aims to encourage workforce preparedness through collaboration with strategic partnerships, and advocates for adequate school infrastructure at every level of education. Meets quarterly on Wednesdays at 8:30 a.m. Location of each meeting is based on the agenda.
6. Business and Workplace Topics Committee: The focus of this committee is on topics such as healthcare policy, worker’s compensation, tort reform, judicial costs, human resources compliance, and work-related issues. Meets quarterly on Thursdays at 8 a.m. Location of each meeting is based on the agenda.
Chair: Jeremy Stephenson, McNair Law Firm, P.A.