Business and Workplace Issues Committee
Chair: Terri DeBoo, Terri DeBoo Ideas@Work
Focus: The focus of this committee will be on topics such as healthcare policy, worker’s compensation, tort reform, judicial costs, human resources compliance, and other work-related issues.
Membership: Members are human resource professionals, small business owners as well as large employers. Membership is open to anybody who is an active Chamber member.
Meeting Dates: Quarterly on Thursdays at 8 am at the Charlotte Chamber, exceptions noted.
Current 2014 Schedule:
- February 17
- April 3
- July 10
- October 2
- December 4
Past Agenda Items:
- April 3, 2014: The Workplace Issues Committee learned about myths and best practices for non-compete agreements and trade secrets. Jeremy Stephenson from McNair Law highlighted that companies often take various strategies to protect their intellectual property, including written non-compete agreements, but other protections also exist under the law even without these type of agreements. Click here to view the presentation.
- February 17, 2014: In conjunction with the Workplace Issues Committee, the group hosted Karl Rectanus of the NC Chamber Foundation to learn more about the Hire Standards Campaign. Click here to view the presentation. Visit HireStandardsNC.org to learn more about the campaign.
- Dec. 11, 2013: Karen Shearer Dunn, professor at Queens University and owner of Karen Dunn Consulting, gave a presentation on generational differences and best practices in cross-generational communication in the workplace.
- March 21, 2013: The committee heard about immigration reform and recommended a chamber position for consideration to the Legislative Agenda Task Force. On April 16, the Task Force voted and passed a recommended position on immigration reform. The Charlotte Chamber Executive Chamber approved the position.
- There are no announcements at this time.
Committee FAQs >>