2017-2018 Legislative Agenda
The Charlotte Chamber creates competitive advantage by growing the economy, advocating pro-business public policies and delivering innovative programs and services.
- Support efforts to effect non-discrimination statutes to mitigate economic losses and extend protections to all citizens.
- Support initiatives designed to attract and retain jobs and investment including:
- Continuation and expansion of the Jobs Development Investment Grant program.
- Continuation of a “closing fund”.
- Funding for the state’s role in economic development.
- Support funding for the arts, travel and tourism and other things that make North Carolina attractive from an economic development perspective.
- Support actions to ensure adequate and diverse supply of energy and promote regulatory tools to manage cost and rate impact to customers.v
- Support North Carolina’s Right to Work laws for private and public employees.
- Support building upon the reforms of workforce training and retraining programs included in the 2013 Unemployment Insurance Reform.
- Support the continuation of a renewable energy and energy efficiency portfolio standard.v
- Support efforts that encourage, and don’t limit high-growth small business enterprises such as the fin tech, energy, advanced manufacturing, and craft beer industries.
- Support a NC tax code that has a positive overall impact on economic growth. Key factors: NC needs a competitive tax position which provides certainty and limits taxes on business to business services.
- Support efforts to encourage economic development opportunities in rural counties while safeguarding current local sales tax and related revenues.
- Support the Strategic Transportation Investments program for prioritization of transportation funding.
- Retain and secure funding for the completion of major transportation projects in the Charlotte region including: the Monroe Bypass, an additional connection between Gaston and Mecklenburg over the Catawba River, and widening of I-77 throughout the Charlotte region.
- Support continued efforts to complete our regional public transportation vision.
- Support efforts to enhance funding from existing transportation revenue sources (gas tax) through alternative methods for additional funding for roads and transit such as tolls, public private partnerships , design-build financing and through additional revenue sources.
- Support continued efforts to reform NC’s laws and regulations to encourage economic growth.
- Support zoning regulation reforms that would encourage investment and growth in commercial and residential development.
- Support policies that promote innovation and new opportunities in the “sharing economy” such as through uniform statewide regulations to encourage transportation and lodging alternatives while protecting public safety.
- Support review and consideration of funding for the judicial system in North Carolina.
- Support efforts to improve Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, Central Piedmont Community College and UNC Charlotte including:
- Support continued reform of the teacher compensation system to make N.C. more competitive.
- Support the continued funding of classroom enrollment growth in pre-K, K-12, community colleges and universities.
- Support efforts to reform K-12, community colleges and universities to allow for local flexibility in items such as: managing budget issues; recruiting, retraining, and promoting the best talent; and creating innovation for academic success.
- Support maintaining high standards for academic achievement that aid in the development of a competitive workforce.